Locally Sourced Products
To provide our customers with a broad range and good value, most of our products are supplied from The Co-operative Group who for more than 15 years have been at the forefront of Responsible Retailing Issues and have a distinctive ethical policy towards producing and sourcing food (see www.co-operative.coop/food/ethics/).
In line with the Society’s policy of supporting local and regional communities, we offer a wide range of distinctive high quality products with a Yorkshire connection. 'In their own words' below, take a read about some of our local suppliers:
- Yorkshire Crisp Company, based in Sheffield, produce luxury hand cooked crisps in stay fresh resealable drums. Unlike many others, all their crisps are made with completely natural flavours. The difference in taste is remarkable and food miles are reduced-significant for a bulky product like crisps.
- Grumpy Mule is produced at their Meltham Roastery by the Balmforth family owned Bolling Coffee Ltd. The coffees are roasted in batches to suit their individual characteristics. The company has taken inspiration from the world of wine to ensure that customers can discover the distinctive character and provenance of each coffee by providing background about the place it was grown and the people who produced it. Most of these coffees aren’t just blends or characterless single origin coffees, but coffees from identifiable farms, estates and cooperatives of smallholder farmers.
- Longley Farm lies at the heart of Summer Wine Country, high above the small Pennine town of Holmfirth. For over 60 years the Dickinson family have watched over the processing of their Jersey herd's milk into a range of prize winning dairy products, whose quality is renown for their purity and goodness and enjoyed by people all over the UK, and Europe, and in demand in many other countries worldwide.
- AJ Pies have been lovingly making and baking handmade pork pies for over 28 years in Huddersfield, using the best locally sourced ingredients and meat in all their products. In May 2014 they won Best in Class at the British Pie Awards, held in Melton Mowbray. AJ Pies won the Pork Pie Class outright, winning Gold for their Barrington's Jerk Pork Pie, Silver for Pork Pie and Bronze for the Chilli Jam Pork Pie. Give them a try.
- Mercers is a family run business, making traditional, award-winning fine food in jars. All hand-made using the finest local (where available) ingredients.
- Yorkshire Fine Cheese is a small independent cheesemaker based at Near Bank, Shelley specialising in the manufacture of a soft mould-ripened cheese called Barncliffe Brie. It is hand-made using traditional methods in small 300 litre batches with milk from the Bark House Farm herd of Meuse-Rhine-Issel castle, which is less than a mile from the dairy. They are a continental breed whose milk is renowned for cheesemaking. The cheese has won a Gold at the World Cheese Awards and a Silver at the British Cheese Awards. As well as the natural cheese, Yorkshire fine Cheese also produce a smoked version, smoked over applewood, giving it a subtle smoky flavour.
- Little Valley Brewery sits high on the Pennine Moorland of Cragg Vale near to Hebden Bridge in West Yorkshire, brewing an inspired range of beers that are naturally refreshing and full of good taste. All Little Valley beers are brewed with 100% organic agricultural ingredients and use only the best and tastiest hops and malt brewed with soft Yorkshire water sourced from high in the Pennines. All you get to taste are fine hand crafted beers that are naturally brewed to the highest standards. Little Valley is approved by the Soil Association and the Vegan Society.
- Fruity Tipples from New Mill are vodka fruit liqueurs made with real fruit and no artificial flavourings or colourings. Great served on their own as a warming tipple or digestif, chill over ice or use them as great cocktail ingredients, they also mix well with sparkling wine for a long, refreshing kir royale. A lovely gift or treat for any occassion.
- Potts Bakers are a family run business based in Yorkshire who are well known for their traditional bread, delicious confectionary and fresh cream cakes. Potts pride themselves on providing quality baked goods.
- Milley's Preserves was established by Holmfirth woman Diane Miller in 2013 after years of enjoying making various piccalilli, chutneys and jams as a hobby. Based in the Holme Valley all porducts are handmade in the family kitchen. 'Grandma Annie's Piccalilli' is made using an old family recipe named for Diane's husband's grandmother. 'Spicy Paccalilli' is made by giving the recipe a modern twist, adding crushed and fresh chillies. With no added preservatives and using as many locally sourced fresh ingredients as possible, both products have a vegetable content of 60% and complement any cold cuts of meat, pies, cheese and salads.
- Pure North Cider Press lies nestled in the Holme Valley producing the finest natural cider from a blend of traditional cider apples, fermented naturally, free from all preservatives and full of anti-oxidants. Their ciders are lovingly nurtured, pressed by hand and delivered with care to bring you the kind of delicious refreshing cider you deserve.
- Yorkshire Drizzle share a passion for good food generously flavoured. That's why they produce a range of healthy flavoured oils and vinegars to add real flavour to your cooking. Dip, drizzle, marinate, roast or stir fry and see where Yorkshire Drizzle takes you.
These products will be displayed in our separate ‘Yorkshire and the Holme Valley’ display fixture in New Mill and Wooldale, giving more detail about the companies and their products; and we plan to introduce further new local products.
Most of our local products are advertised with with Wooldale Co-op local product labels.
Please come in to your local stores and treat yourself whilst supporting these great local companies.
If there is a local company you are aware of and you would like us to stock their product please e-mail us at email@example.com .